2018 Commission: Looking Down to See the Sky by Thom Hasenpflug
After the success of the consortium with Baljinder Sekhon (see below), I am putting together another consortium of percussionists and steel pan players who would be interested in commissioning a new work for solo steel drum (tenor pan) and marimba from Thom Hasenpflug. If you are not familiar with Thom’s music, check out:
The plan for the piece will be:
1) Duet for Tenor Steel Drum and Marimba (2 players)
2) Length: Approximately 7-10 minutes
Here’s a snippet of one of the themes Thom is working on for the piece. He has put together a few ideas since I suggested the commission. The title in mind references a reef location off Cozumel known for its giant starfish.
Looking Down to See the Sky by Thom Hasenpflug (Score Sample)
The consortium is open to the first 40 participants. Individual Cost will be minimum of $50 and maximum of $75. In order for the price to be $50/person, we need 40 people to sign on to this project.
You will receive:
1) Your name will be listed in the score
2) You will receive a downloadable PDF copy of the score and parts. If you want a mailed hard copy, please add $10.
3) After the premiere (May 2019), you will have exclusive rights to perform the piece for one year. The piece will be ready on February 15, 2019 and emailed immediately thereafter. I will premiere the piece in May 2019 with Thomas Burritt (Exact date and location TBA). After my initial performance, you will have the right to perform the piece for one year before it published. After that, the work will be available to the public. Please help spread the word. It will help everyone involved. I will be compiling the list of participants for Thom.
What I need from you is:
1) You pledge to be a part of the consortium by August 1, 2018. Once I have a list of participants, I will send you payment amount and information of where to send the checks.
2) Payment will be due in full by October 1, 2018.
Thanks for your interest in this project! If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.
2014 Commission: Passageways by Baljinder Sekhon
Thank you to everyone who participated in the commission project. Here’s the list of participants:
Andy Akiho, David Beery, Mark Berry, Ron Brough, Sean Connors, Stan Dahl, Elizabeth Delamater, Amanda Duncan, Matt Ehlers, Ricardo Flores, Dave Gabrielson, Adam Groh, Ian Grzyb, David Hall, Greg Haynes, Scott Herring, David Johnson, John Kilkenny, Jason Koontz, John Lawless, Bob Ledbetter, Ryan Lewis, Dave Longfellow, Colin Malloy, Robert McCormick, Tony McCutchen, CJ Menge, Brad Meyer, William Moersch, Oliver Molina, Eugene Novotney, Michael Overman, Louis Raymond-Kolker, Ted Rounds, Rob Sanderl, Brad Shores, Joshua Simonds, Cliff Sutton, Chris Tanner, Allen Teel, Sarah Waters, Jesse Willis, Sean Womack.
The premiere performance was on Saturday, March 28, 2015 at the Logan Center for the Arts (University of Chicago) with the Chicago Youth Orchestra Percussion Ensemble conducted by Ben Wahlund. Below is a recording of the dress rehearsal. I am still waiting to get the video from the concert.
The members of the consortium have exclusive rights to perform the piece for one year after the premiere. The piece will be available from Baljinder Sekhon on April 1, 2016. Please email Baljinder or me with any questions.